Our local honey is supplied from hives less than a mile away from the shop from very well cared for bees. The bees forage for up to a three mile radius, so whilst you are enjoying a drink in our little sitting area the very same bees may be visiting our lovely flowers!
Local honey is thought to help lessen the effects of allergies.
WHAT’S THE BUZZ ABOUT BEES?
- Bees are the only insect in the world that make food that people can eat
- One bee will only make half of a teaspoon on honey in its entire life
- A colony of bees can contain between 20,000 and 60,000 bees, but only one queen bee
- A bee’s wings beat 190 times a second, that’s 11,400 times a minute!
- To make 1lb of honey the bees need to visit 2 million flowers!
- The queen bee will lay around 1,500 eggs a day
- Bees have two separate stomachs; one for food and another just for nectar
- Honey has natural preservatives so that it won’t go bad
- Bees communicate by smells called ‘pheromones’ and by performing special ‘waggle dances’
- Bees fly about 55,000 miles to make just 1lb of honey, that’s 1½ times around the world!
- Bees have been producing honey the same way for over one hundred and fifty million years
- Bees are pollinators vital to our food chain. One third of the food we eat would not be available but for bees.
- Bee Keepers only take the honey that bees do not need, but this can be as much as 100lb from one hive!